The application to convert the important Grade II–listed St Luke’s Chapel, in Rose Square, Fulham Road, into a single luxury home is being strongly challenged by the Victorian Society. The Society is pushing for the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to refuse consent as this would cause permanent damage to this exceptionally important building. Instead of allowing the conversion, the Council is being urged to consider alternative uses so that the building can be utilised for its initial purpose, and maintain public access to the work of two of the most notable church architects of the nineteenth century.
St Luke’s Chapel is a very important building which fully justifies its Grade II listing. The chapel was built by EB Lamb in 1849-50 to serve Brompton Hospital, and then enlarged by William White in 1891-92. The gothic revival chapel has been barely altered since 1900 and contains a complete Victorian interior with integral fittings of the highest quality. Converting the chapel into a residential home would mean the removal of the majority of these original fittings. The Council’s Design & Conservation Officer also agrees with the Victorian Society and highlights that the removal of the fittings would 'cause irreversible and substantial harm to the building.'
Kensington and Chelsea Council have not set a date yet to determine the application.