0207 235 9641
The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 will come into effect from 1 October 2015.
What a Landlord needs to know:
- This law applies to all existing tenancies and new tenancies.
- It requires the Landlord to install at least one smoke alarm on every floor of the property – including bathrooms. The alarms may be battery powered or hard wired.
- It requires the Landlord to install a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm in every room where there is a solid fuel appliance. NB. Gas appliances are not included but it is strongly recommended to have a CO alarm in rooms with a gas appliance. The alarms may be battery or hard wired.
- At the start of a new tenancy from 1st October the regulations require that all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are tested and recorded as working on the first day of the tenancy.
- We advise all landlords to pre- check their properties to avoid any unnecessary delays to a proposed tenancy.
- Thereafter it is the tenants responsibility to check the alarms at least once a month, to replace batteries where necessary and to report any faults to the landlord.
Further information may be found here